Kylemore Abbey – Radharc

Irish Culture, History
Directed by:
Father Joe Dunn
Produced by:


11 mins

Shot in 1962, this Radharc film was made during a visit to the rebuilt and extended Kylemore Abbey in Connemara.  The film celebrates the fine architecture and includes an interview with the Lady Abbess.

Kylemore Abbey was built in 1867 as a family home for the family of Mitchell Henry, a wealthy doctor from London. Between 1920 and 2010 the Abbey was home to the Irish Benedictine Nuns who ran a boarding and days school for girls within its formidable walls. The Benedictine community restored the now famous walled garden to its former glory and is today one of Ireland’s most popular attractions.

Radharc was an independent production company established by Father Joe Dunn, Father Desmond Forristal and other like-minded priests to make programmes for television and non-theatrical exhibition. Between 1961 and 1996 they made over 400 films in 75 countries on social, political and religious issues.

To see more of The Radharc Collection, click here.

With kind permission of The Radharc Trust.